Monday, December 22, 2008

Pithiness, Aphorisms and other adages

Just wanted to comment- that after weeks of me saying no one reads these entries- last week (ending 20 December) was the most-read week I've had in about 13 months or so- well over 100 views on MySpace- no idea what the Blogger readership is

Anyhow- there was one bit of criticism for the new entry ("It's that time of year....."- 18 December)- the supposedly sheer verbosity of it- The reader who actually got me started on these bleatings a couple years ago suggested I exercise a bit of brevity here - and more alcohol-fueled postings- not tonight, though- kind of groggy from nodding off waiting for "Monday Night Football" and actually have to be sort of useful tomorrow and do a few errands and drive back to New Jersey for the big holiday later this week

In the spirit of brevity- I will offer a grouping of short thoughts- a la the late, unlamented Larry King column from USA Today- with some degree of coherence

-Nothing says "douchebag" like the silhouette view of someone wearing a cap sideways

-I don't have to say the storm coverage here was stupidly over the top on the local news- like footage of the guy carrying 6 gallons of milk out a store- but tonight saw the story of the teenagers who fell through ice on a pond in Natick and wondered why they or any other fool who had been through a similar calamity sit down with reporters to tell their story of foolishness- I reiterated to someone over the weekend- that the worst way to die must be the one that give you a minute or so to think "What was I thinking?" or "That wasn't such a good idea"

-Have any of the supposed "entertainers" launched from YouTube videos gone onto anything yet?

Whenever I see the phrase "Check out my YouTube videos! Just like (fill in the blank of show name- "SNL", "The Office" etc.)" I know not only are they not just like the shows they're attempting to ape, but are whatever the polar opposites of either entertainment or mere spectacle could ever be defined as- and will bring me less internet joy than photos of Baby Mangino (of Deadspin fame- an infant dressed up like obese Univerity of Kansas football coach Mark Mangino) or 20-plus year old Heart videos where they try to obscure the weight gain of the larger Wilson sister

-The video games "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" are perhaps the largest impediments to peaceful apartment living that I could not have foreseen even 4-5 years ago
Combining the loudness of a regular video game/ the playing of loud music/ an amplified instrument with the pounding of the plastic drum kit are things I didn't think of back when I used to complain about lax snow-shoveling, parking and general old-school nuisances prior to a few months ago

-Speaking of those games- I cannot be the only one who sees the "Guitar Hero" ad featuring Kobe Bryant dancing around in his underwear and thinks "Colorado hotel room incident" every time I see it

Would be sort of akin to seeing a Kennedy family member in a "celebrity" ski race- Oh, wait- I did see that - Sunday (21 December)- when the snow and ice were affecting my friend's satellite dish reception and were forced to wait for the begining of the Jets-Seahawks game on CBS- and saw RFK's daughter Kerry Kennedy (nee Cuomo)

Aside from Julia Louis-Dreyfus- the biggest "celebs" on the bill for that were Spencer and Heidi from "The Hills"- a show and people I've heard an exponentionally wild amount of/ about- that I'm still almost completely incognizant of/ about

Anyhow- if this sucked- blame the lack of sauce and the self-enforced format- Enjoy the holidays

No comments: