Saturday, October 17, 2009

October place-holder

Another blog entry that starts with me commenting on my recent lack of activity between the 2 sites I post on- between the two-month or so gap posting these, being busy as hell at work since Labor Day and time being consumed by my other internet-related diversions that stepped into my real life- which have been withering and waning in both contexts in recent days- figured I'd put up something quick while I was thinking of it- no promises of quicker returns- but this is yet another possible/ promised start in this forum

-I always have the penalty flag to call bullshit halfway out of my back pocket whenever I see "Twitter sensation" used in a news story- and goddamnit- the "Balloon Boy" story from Colorado the other day is no exception

Like the false rumors of Jeff Goldblum's death that spread via Twitter the same day as Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson this past summer- I knew the Falcon Heene weather balloon story was total bullshit from the second I saw it on an internet news feed while mired in another 12-plus-hour day at work this past week

It only seemed to be confirmed to me once I saw people's Facebook status updates being overrun with the news of this- I just feel fortunate I was away from a television for all of this unfolding "news"- though I've caught plenty since- including the Saturday announcement that there will be some sort of third-degree misdemeanor charge against the Heene patriarch or whatever

-Been listening to Urge Overkill's 1995 "Exit the Dragon" a lot lately for some reason- maybe because I recall this record as an October release, I pulled it out of a pile a couple weeks ago and been in sort of a melancholy mood- to put it at a median term- at times lately

It's best recalled as the disappointing follow-up to 1993's major-label breakthrough for them "Saturation" and the further notoriety the band got from the featured role their cover of Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon" ( from their 1992 "Stull EP") had in Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" in 1994

Personally, I had thought the disc (or tape, as I had gotten it) was rather disappointing as a "Saturation" follow-up when it first came out in the fall of 1995- another time when I was working all the time in the autumn and had little time for anything other than work, commuting to work and watching football- or the more things change, they stay the same

Anyhow- picked up a used promotional copy of this about 5 years ago when I first got my current vehicle with a CD player- didn't listen to it more than twice for long time after- Ended up damaging a bunch of CD's by leaving them in my car for extended periods and decided to clear them all out of there

Finally listened to "Exit..." at extended level about a year or so back- and have come around to it being one of the ultimate band breakup/ general sense of melancholy records ever- right down to seemingly being over-produced, over-thought or overwrought at points- that seem to subliminally underscore the drug issue in the band (Blackie Onassis) and the general split between the members after their greatest success- was no surprise to learn this record was largely a 2-member (Nash Kato and Eddie "King" Roesser) effort and was recorded in shifts between the members

I'm sure there are other great band-breakup records out there- but "Exit the Dragon" seems to perfectly encapsullate the band's 1995 psyche as it approached the abyss

-I'll keep it up here- if Miley Cyrus has truly abandoned Twitter- that means it was never worth joining in the first place

No comments: